Note that the products discussed on our site are independently selected by (obsessive) editors. At no extra cost to you, things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.
Swim caps are found in all swimmers’ bags. Quite simply, they’re a necessary part of the sport. The best swim caps offer competitive and recreational swimmers a huge advantage in competitions and during training. While this simple piece of equipment is not necessary for you to swim, swim caps help competitive and casual swimmers reduce the hydrodynamic drag they experience as they swim.
Let’s take a look at the top swim caps for this year and see all the ways you’re sure to benefit from finding the perfect fit!
Comparison Chart: 10 Best Swimming Caps of 2019
Here is a comparison chart of the top 10 best swim caps for this year! We’ve listed the picks by color, material, and price to give you a solid overview of all the different options available. Give them a look over and see what will work best for your situation! Enjoy.
|Speedo Solid Latex Swim Cap||8||Latex|
|Speedo Silicone Long Hair Cap||5||Silicone|
|TYR Wrinkle Free Silicone Cap||11||Silicone|
|The Speedo Solid Latex Swim Cap||7||Latex|
|The TYR Lycra Swim Cap||6||Lycra|
|The Friendly Swede Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap for Adults/Teens||3||Silicone|
|The Speedo Silicone Junior Swim Cap||8||Silicone|
|i-Swim Pro Swimming Caps||3||Silicone|
|Swim Elite 2-in-1 Silicone Swim Cap||6||Silicone|
|The Friendly Swede Silicone Long Hair Swim Caps||2||Silicone|
Closer Look: Top 10 Best Swim Caps
Here are the best swim caps available on the market right now.
Speedo is the preferred choice for fitness and competitive swimmers. As with the rest of their equipment, their swim caps are top notch.
With a tender, silicone feel and excellent stretch, the Speedo Solid is one of the best swimcaps you can find. As expected, it performs very well for casual use or competition. This cap will offer you the best in elasticity without sacrificing durability. With the right degree of elasticity, the Speedo Silicone Solid Swim Cap won’t painfully cling to your hair as you take it off or put it on. No more losing a few locks of hair every time you get out of the pool! Comfortable and effective.
If you are a regular swimmer with long hair, you might want to try the Speedo Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap. This cap reduces drag during the race by eliminating wrinkles occurring at the top of the racers head. Also, the cap firmly grips the racers head with no slippage, even for those athletes with longer hair.
It also has an extra space in the back for you to tuck your hair in while maintaining a smooth fit. Moreover, if you are looking for a quick and easy to remove cap, this is the right option for you. For a durable, lightweight and superior fitting cap, choose the Speedo Silicone Long Hair Cap.
Before diving into the pool for your next race or swimming lesson, think twice my friend. You definitely need to check out the TYR Wrinkle Free Silicone Cap before the executing the dive. This cap is highly rated due to its comfort, durability, and the fact that it retains its color and doesn’t fade after a couple seasons.
In addition, the TYR Wrinkle Free Silicone Swim Cap has a non-slip interior with a firm, albeit comfortable, grip on your scalp. This prevents the cap from slipping when diving in the pool and making your turns. The TYR swim cap comes in 11 color styles.
Another cap from Speedo? That’s right! Speedo is the big dog when it comes to swimming gear. The big difference with this one is the ribbed edge. It ensures an extremely tight fit for smooth swimming.
If you are looking for a swim cap with a ribbed edge, comfortable fit and lightweight design, you will love the Speedo Solid Latex Swim Cap. The ribbed edge feature of the cap prevents it from slipping as you swim. Moreover, it provides a lot of stretch and general durability. It also protects your long hair from unfavorable water conditions such as chemicals and impurities, which will otherwise cause damage to your hair.
The TYR Lycra Swim Cap was designed to meet the needs of a recreational swimmer. These caps are extremely comfortable and refuse to snag or pull.
The lycra cap is best suitable for use in warm water or in conjunction with an outer cap. The TYR Lycra Swim Cap doesn’t provide any insulating effects like the latex or silicon caps but will provide you with top performance. It has also been designed to precisely fit the swimmer and reduce drag effectively.
This Friendly Suede Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap for adults and teens is ideal for fitness, recreation, and competition too! It keeps your hair dry and out of your face as you swim. Even if you have color treated hair, this cap does a great job of protecting it from harsh chemicals. A huge bonus!
Regarding usability, the Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap has comfortable ear pouches, which you can use to cover your ears while under the water. It is also made from tender and stretchable silicone for durability purposes.
7. The Speedo Silicone Junior Swim CapUnlike other Silicone swim caps, the Speedo Silicone Junior Swim Cap comes in a plastic zip lock reusable package of six different colors.
It is specially designed to fit smaller swimmers and kids thanks to the silicone design of the cap. Speedo also makes it easy to take off and on without grabbing your little one’s hair. Additionally, this lightweight cap is durable and appropriate for day-to-day swimmers.
i-Swim Pro Swimming Caps are not your ordinary swimming cap, They’re uniquely designed to increase your swimming speeds as well as protecting your hair. The distinctive, bubbled design of this cap displaces the water surface tension, reducing the energy you spend while swimming and consequently boosting your swimming efficiency.
This cap is made from high-quality silicone, designed to fit perfectly onto your head- thereby preventing water from seeping in. Since it is manufactured from top quality silicone, it is nontoxic, eco-friendly and durable.
The 2 in 1 Premium Swim Silicone Cap is a great swimming cap according to the customer reviews. While this cap was produced from a high-quality silicone material, it can be used interchangeably on both sides with two different colors!
Besides wearing this cap for swimming purposes, you will not fail to feel its super soft texture or amazing durability. Also important to note is that this cap has been designed to fit both mens and ladies heads without causing any discomfort.
Without a doubt, the Swede Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap best suits long hair. This full white cap is made from top quality silicone material, which ensures the best stretch as well as durability to the user. In fact, the manufacturer has up to five other colors, which can be used interchangeably with the white one.
Also, it has a protective covering which prevents water from entering your ears as you swim. Just like other swim caps, using the Swede Silicone Long Hair Swim Caps gives you more satisfaction.
General Thoughts on Swim Caps
By creating a smooth surface area for water to flow over it, the best swim caps assist swimmers in moving faster and fluidly through the water. As a result, the swimmers mobility is improved, and their performance is boosted considerably.
With swim caps, there are various options to choose from and it is important that you find the one that best suits your needs. They are usually manufactured from three main materials: lycra, silicon and latex. As you will see, latex manufactured swim caps are the least expensive and are easily torn or broken compared to the silicone swim caps. The silicone swim caps are thick and strong and often a little more expensive than the other options.
What are Some of the Advantages of Swim Caps?
Here are the top reasons swimmers wear swim caps:
Protection from the pool chemicals
In one study conducted by scientists at the University of Waterloo, results show that when human hair is exposed to chlorine, it gets damaged. There is no swimming cap designed to keep chlorine from coming into contact with your hair as you swim, but with a suitable and appropriate swim cap, you can limit the amount of chlorinated water that comes into contact with your hair.
Swim Caps Help keep your hair in control
Long hair can be problematic as you swim. It can make breathing difficult as well as impair vision, especially when it gets wet and seeps into your nostrils and eyes. Well-selected swim caps solve this problem by holding your hair together and putting it away from your face as you swim. You can periodically adjust your latex or silicon swim cap to ensure that your hair is in place to prevent it from getting wet.
Swimmers, especially those who compete, will always want to be more efficient athletes. One way they can achieve this is by limiting the drag experienced as they swim. Swim equipment, including swim caps, are designed to reduce this drag.
Top Brands in Swim Cap development
The most notable swim cap development manufacturer is Speedo. Located in the UK with origins in Australia, Speedo was founded by a young Scot by the name Alexander MacRaein in the early 1900’s under the brand name Fortitude. In 1928, the company changed the brand name to Speedo and ever since it has been supplying swimming accessories and competitive swimwear to customers all across the world. With the advancement in technology, the company is constantly looking for new ways to improve and expand its range of products so that it meets its customers’ demands. Speedo is pretty much at the top of most swimming technology when it comes to advancement, quality and style.
Most Common Types of Swim Caps
The most common types of material employed by the best swim caps are nylon, latex, silicone, and thermal materials.
- Nylon. Although people with long hair widely use the Nylon swim caps, they are not popular with professional swimmers due to the drag factor. Also, other swimmers (besides professional swimmers) will prefer other swim caps over the nylon because of the water flowing through them. This water leaves the swimmer’s hair exposed to chlorine and other pool chemicals, consequently causing damage to the hair. The upside of Nylon caps is that they are very comfortable to wear with most swimmers agreeing that they are best used in open water, in warm weather and water conditions.\
- Latex. If you are a regular swimmer, you may have worn this cap at one time or another. Latex swim caps are the most popular caps among many swimmers since they are cooler than silicone caps and don’t slip as much initially. Regular swimmers go through latex caps quickly as they stretch and begin slipping or tearing in as little as a few weeks from the date of purchase.
- Silicone. Flat silicone swim caps are also popular among swimmers. They are slightly more expensive than Latex and Nylon but are far more durable and flexible, and they don’t pull the swimmers hair as much as latex. Thicker silicone caps are stiffer and properly fit on the swimmers head. For a greater range of flexibility and comfort, silicone caps offer this. While Silicone caps are tender on the swimmers hair, they tend to slip more as compared to the latex caps.
- Thermal. Made of silicone coated nylon or polyurethane, thermal caps slide on easily without causing any damage to the hair. In addition, they provide more warmth as compared to the silicone and latex caps. To achieve maximum warmth when wearing a thermal cap, use it to provide an extra layer of warmth under a latex or silicon cap.
What are Some of the Factors to Consider When Shopping for a Swim Cap?
Shopping online or at the physical store for your preferred swim cap is a relatively straightforward task. However, there are a few facts that you should have in mind as you purchase the best swim cap for you.
- The type of material used to manufacture the cap. If you are after a long lasting and durable swim cap, avoid the latex caps at all costs. Caps that are manufactured from neoprene material are more durable. Therefore, you should purchase a silicone or a neoprene cap.
- Understand the frequency of use. If you are looking for a cap to use while on vacation, buy a latex cap, which is less expensive. If you are looking for a day-to-day cap, buy a lycra, silicone, or neoprene cap. They are strong and meant to serve you for a long time.
- Your head size and length of your hair. If you have long hair, you must ensure the cap you are purchasing is long enough to prevent your long hair from coming into contact with the chlorinated water. Most buyers online and at the shops complain about small sized caps, but they forget that it’s their responsibility to know which capsize best suits their hair.